Maybe tomorrow, I’ll want to settle down,
Until tomorrow, I’ll just keep moving on.


Friday, 28 September 2007

Gherghiyan

So I was wrong! (go figure)

It turns out that Gherghiyan isn't an Islam thing, it's just a Kuwait thing. Half-way through the holy month of Ramadan (where they fast during daylight hours), the kids have a day (or two or three) called Gherghiyan, where they go around and collect candy from people. At school, though, they GIVE it to each other! And not just each other, to us, too. Especially the elementary and middle school teachers (although as high school teachers, we received some). So now we keep having candy parties, visiting the middle school teachers to enjoy their goodies. And they are generous (as Ramadan would suggest!).

So we all dressed up in our dura'as, looking great as can be.
We had a good day. It's really the most comfortable outfit ever! It's just very very warm. How could people wear these all the time? Now I know why my one student always complains about the heat in the classroom....while the other students complain about the cold.

No comments: